La Casa Encendida and Fulgencio Pimentel are pleased to present the fourth Puchi award.
The competition is open to books in any genre or form: fiction, non-fiction, poetry, novels, comics, picture books, essays, cookbooks, geography books, combinations of the above or any other type imaginable. We’re looking for one-of-a-kind book, or even a whole new kind of book.
The Puchi award will be governed by the following rules:
This competition is open to literary and graphic projects of any kind that stand out by virtue of their premise, literary and graphic quality, originality, unconventionality or mould-shattering conception. A book can contain everything and anything, and that is precisely what this contest wants: fiction and non-fiction, essays, informative literature, poetry, illustration, comics, cookbooks, geography books, combinations of the above or any other type of work.
The aim of this award is to shine a spotlight on works of the highest quality and originality.
All authors of legal age from Spain or any other country are eligible to submit one or more original, unpublished works.
Projects may be submitted between 20th November 2019 and 23rd January 2020 at 12:00 noon (GTM+1), both dates included. Submissions sent before or after this period will not be accepted.
The winner will receive a cash prize of €8,000 (VAT and all other taxes included, as an advance on the rights of the published work) and have his/her work published and distributed by Fulgencio Pimentel.
Exceptionally, a Special Jury Award may be awarded. This excepcional award would imply the project publication.
Contestants may submit only finished works that have never been published, at least not with an ISBN and/or for commercial distribution.
La Casa Encendida and Fulgencio Pimentel will have the final say regarding design and production aspects of the book.
Projects must be accompanied by either the pseudonym or real name of the author (or authors, in the case of collaborative works).
Each author or co-author of the project must submit:
- A completed entry form
- A curriculum vitae (one for each author)
- National ID, foreign resident ID or passport
- Brief summary of the work and statement of motivation (max. 2,000 characters with spaces)
- List of production requirements, if any (max. 1,000 characters with spaces)
- Finished work in original language (PDF or Word document).
- Provisional translation into English of at least two pages of the work.
Works may be written in any language, although a provisional translation into English of at least two pages must also be submitted. The entry form, curriculum vitae, summary and statement of motivation, and production requirements must all be submitted in English.
Materials may be uploaded to the website in the following formats:
- PDF up to 15 MB
- Images: JPG up to 10 MB; images must measure 900 x 540 (w x h), with one side equal to and the other side equal to or less than the stipulated measurements for width and height, according to the proportions of the original image (maximum of 15 images)
Previous works may also be shown, following the guidelines provided on the website.
Submitted works that do not comply with these requirements will be disqualified by the jury.
Fulgencio Pimentel and La Casa Encendida will appoint a preliminary review panel, which will read the submissions and shortlist 10 works to be considered by a jury of renowned judges. The number of shortlisted works may be increased if the review panel deems it appropriate in light of the quality of the works submitted. The jury will consist of two prominent personalities from the world of publishing and the arts, one representative of La Casa Encendida and one representative of the Fulgencio Pimentel publishing house.
The jury’s decision will be final, and the competition may be declared void. All documentation submitted to this contest, except that of the winner, will be destroyed, and there will be no correspondence with authors competing for the award. Participation in the Puchi Award implies full acceptance of the award rules.
- The authors are responsible for registering submitted works with the Intellectual Property Register (Patent Office) and for the potential consequences of failing to do so from the moment a work is submitted to the competition.
- Projects financed by another institution will not be accepted.
- Submitted works that do not comply with these requirements will be disqualified by the jury.
- By participating in this competition, the authors confirm that they understand and accept these rules.
- When the project is finished and made public, the author/s must indicate that it was made possible thanks to the support of the two participating organisations:
- La Casa Encendida
- Fulgencio Pimentel
The award recipient will grant the publishers exclusive worldwide rights to the winning work, including all reproduction, distribution, public communication and transformation rights, for a period of 10 years. Reception of the prize money is contingent on the completion and publication of the winning work. If the award recipient fails to deliver the finished project by the date(s) agreed upon by both parties, the organisers may demand reimbursement of the total prize amount.
The winner will be entitled to receive 25 copies of his/her work. The publishers may exercise their rights to the winning work for themselves or sign any exclusive or non-exclusive agreements with third parties deemed necessary to facilitate the exercise and application of those rights and in various forms in other countries.
The author will not be entitled to any sums other than that received as a cash prize, which for contractual purposes will be treated as an advance until the amount has been settled in full.
All documentation submitted to this competition will be kept confidential, in compliance with the stipulations of Organic Law 15/1999 of 13 December, which regulates the protection of personal date, with regard to all data provided that falls within the scope of said law.
More info: email@example.com