The blackcap warbler, a small bird weighing barely 20 grams, makes a spectacular journey to escape from the cold winters of northern Europe, flying all the way to southern Spain and even Central Africa. This discreet migration over thousands of kilometres is shrouded in mysteries that scientists are still trying to comprehend, even today.
Secret Migrations - The Blackcap Warbler (Migrations secrètes - La Fauvette à tête noire), directed by Benoît Demarle. France, 2019. 52’. La Compagnie des Taxi-Brousse. Original soundtrack with Spanish subtitles
Thanks to the knowledge of scientific experts, and aided by the latest technology, we discover the amazing strategies and behaviours that blackcap warblers have developed to ensure success on their long journey. This highly adaptable species has managed to incorporate changes forged slowly through evolution.
How do they obtain the energy needed to complete such a long journey? Can they fly on cloudy nights without losing their way? Are they affected by the environmental impact of human activities?
With the help of miniature transmitters, satellite monitoring and DNA analysis, Secret Migrations reveals the secrets to the success of this tiny migratory bird.
Participants in the post-film discussion:
- Javier Pérez Tris, Professor of Zoology at the Complutense University of Madrid
- Ana Bermejo, a coordinator of the SEO/BirdLife Migra programme
Moderated by Rafa Serra, editor-in-chief of Quercus magazine
- The courtyard’s capacity has been reduced for this activity.
- Fully sanitised headphones will be provided to listen to the speakers.
- Please keep a distance of at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others at all times, even when queuing up at the entrance.
- Please follow the instructions given by attendants and staff of La Casa Encendida when entering/exiting the space and taking your seat.
- Face masks must be worn at all times.
- Thank you for using the hand sanitiser at the entrance to the centre.
* La Casa Encendida, a safe space. Please read the health measures we have taken carefully before attending the event.
28 OctoberScreenings, Talks Shorts: ‘Birds of the Canary Islands’ and ‘Life on the Rocks’
The cycle concludes with the screening of two documentaries about the most representative species of the Canary Islands (…)Price: 3.00 €Tickets
05 OctoberScreenings, Talks ‘Birds of America’ by Jacques Loeuille
Awe-inspiring nature, enormous flocks of birds of every type.. (…)