2021 Environmental Performance
As an environmentally conscious cultural and social centre, La Casa Encendida of Fundación Montemadrid has had an environmental management system in place since 2007, which conforms to standard ISO 14001. Honouring its commitment to protect the environment and prevent pollution, this system is periodically reviewed and evaluated in order to identify actions that can be taken to minimise the negative impact of La Casa Encendida's activities on the world around it.
We would like to share with our users and visitors a summary of our environmental performance results for the year 2021, which in some cases are still greatly conditioned by the measures introduced to avoid the spread of COVID-19.
- Electricity consumption was 2.73% above the average for the previous three years. Consumption has returned to pre-2019 levels, but since the average for the last three years is greatly influenced by the 2020 data, there has been a slight increase on that average.
- Water consumption was 17.95% below the average for the past three years, in keeping with our water saving policy.
- The consumption of gas (which fuels our ventilation system) was 48.43% above the average for the past three years due to the measures taken to ventilate the building, in line with instructions from the health authorities.
- In the course of the year we produced 243 kg of hazardous waste, down 63.96% on the average for the period 2018-2020. This reduction is mainly due to the fact that we carried out minimal upgrades of computer equipment in 2021.
- We generated 142.68 m3 of non-hazardous waste, 42.15% less than in the previous three years. This figure is conditioned by the influence of the 2020 data on the average of the past three years, and by the fact that our in-person activities have not yet returned to pre-pandemic levels.
Thank you for helping us to keep on improving.